Read the Free Trolleyville Times Monthly for the Latest News on Prototype and Model Traction!

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Birney Project ~ Boom! Boom! Out go the lights!

Dammit! My worst fear has come to pass. I blew out all the light bulbs. F!

Deciding to take the plunge into the world of DCC, I managed to blow out all 10 light bulbs. I thought it was going to be a simple matter of replacing the Utah Pacific Constant Lighting Unit with a decoder. But no. Apparently a resistor is needed between the bulbs and decoder. The total rating of the bulbs have to be under 100 millowatts and how bright the lights shine depends on the resistor. The size resistor needed can be determined from the website of the manufacturer of the decoder, but not on the instructions that come with the decoder. I didn't know that so... pffft! Blown bulbs.

This disaster blew the wind out of my sails. I focused on other aspects of life for a while. Then, after a sufficient time of pouting, I'm back. Birney has been disassembled, blown bulbs ripped out, and new bulbs installed.

Sorry about the lack of posts for a while, but I'm back on track now. Yes sir! Back on track!

Dandy

2 comments:

  1. Have you thought about LEDs for future projects? I've always been deathly afraid of bulbs dying inside of models and the resulting digging and rework. There are LED Xmas light strings that can be had in January for $10 for 100 off-white LEDs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! LEDs are the way to go. Its just that the bulb housings I already built for this car will only hold incandescent bulbs, LEDs are too big. But all my cars in the future will be lit with LEDs. AND, its that time of year for strands of inexpensive LEDs!

    ReplyDelete