Read the Free Trolleyville Times Monthly for the Latest News on Prototype and Model Traction!

Monday, March 17, 2014

Light Cast

Looking for an easier way to cast these lamps.

Carving the lamp globes beforehand is tedious, time consuming, boring, wasteful, not fun, dull, waste of energy and time, not my favorite thing, noisy, dusty, etc...

And the shape of the globe is cast into the rubber mold, so why not cast it along with the rest of the pole? Seems like a no brainer to me.


I noticed that the last casting was glowing around the bottom of the globes. So I suspect that the Smooth-Cast casting resin is translucent. So I'm gonna do another cast, but this time fill the entire mold with the casting resin and forego the carved globes (after all the trouble I went through to get the correct size clear acrylic tubes!). And see how much light is emitted through the casting resin.

Wow! It glows just as brightly as clear acrylic tubing! Whew! So much easier than carving those globes. Yes sir! So much easier!

Dandy

No comments:

Post a Comment