Read the Free Trolleyville Times Monthly for the Latest News on Prototype and Model Traction!

Monday, August 30, 2021

Frogs on the Overhead

 Overhead Crossing Frogs


I just noticed that I haven't finished swapping out the temporary overhead crossing frogs with commercial frogs.


But the temporary frogs have been working out so well that I might just keep them!


Negotiating Frogtown.


Here are the four 90° double track crossing overhead frogs (track obscured for clarity). The two crossings on the left still have the small washers that I was using for temporary crossing frogs. The two crossings on the right have been finalized with crossover castings. But since the washers have been performing flawlessly and they have a much smaller appearance that I've decided to keep them as is. They just need to be finalized by trimming the excess wire and solder it all in place for electrical continuity.

As for the angle crossings I don't think the washers were working well for that. So they have been swapped out for the adjustable crossing frogs. These work great.

Rivers Trolley & Traction Adjustable Crossovers are what I used. But I have no idea where a fella can purchase them these days. Might have to monitor eBay closely for them.

Yes sir! Closely monitor eBay for frogs!

Dandy

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great blog, so much good info and inspiration! Quick question, what is your trolley wire height? I know that 20' seems to be standard but I've heard of everything from 18 to 22 feet. Since I'm planning to run mainly city streetcars I'm considering the somewhat lower 19 feet.

    ReplyDelete