Read the Free Trolleyville Times Monthly for the Latest News on Prototype and Model Traction!

Monday, August 02, 2021

How 'bout Them Apples!

 In studying photos of 19th century city streets I've noticed that "road apples" are quite ubiquitous.

But the question is: should droppings be modeled?

I mean- it is natural after all. Horses are going to doo what horses gotta do!

Both Images: Shorpy.  Color: Hotpot

And doo they do a lot! It was quite the problem back in the day. Particularly in New York City that when the elevated railroads were built the steam locomotives were hailed as a solution to the pollution!

But doo I want to model "excreta" though? I suppose I might if it's not too conspicuous- one of many details to notice. And it is kind of funny. But I doo want to be careful- it is a poop joke after all. I don't want to be crass. Just... realistic. Which begs the question- what to model dung with?

The question of what to use to model "after parts" had been lurking in the back of my mind for some time now and one morning while emptying my coffee maker I noticed that the used coffee grounds are about the right size and color for manure. So I set up the test photo shown at the top of this post and well, yeah, not a bad result. So I'll keep it in mind and see if I can tastefully incorporate "effluent" into some of the scenes on the layout when I get to the detailing stage of layout construction.


All I need now is for someone to make some HO scale Pooper-Scooper figures, then I can make a nice little scene like this.

Yes Sir! HO scale Pooper-Scoopers!

Dandy





4 comments:

  1. Model Power Station Service Crew, part no. 5709. Sure, they're not Preiser, but they're not too clunky. Even includes a rolling white can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessir! You found it! That should work. I'm going to order that and try it out. Thanks

      Delete
  2. My dad told me about going to NYC with his father before WW1. He'd go in the summer. Boy, he said it wreaked of manure. He did add that you got sort of used to it, especially when his dad religiously fought with the conductors about contributing the fare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh pay the fare for Pete's sake! Yeah, manure can actually be a pleasant odor. A nice earthy smell. Thank you for that anecdote.

      Delete