Read the Free Trolleyville Times Monthly for the Latest News on Prototype and Model Traction!

Monday, December 11, 2023

Jessop's Street Clock ~ Detailing

 Let's See How Close I Can Make This Look Like The Prototype Before I Paint It.

There's no need for this to be a precise model of the Jessop's clock. I would have scratch built it if I wanted that.

 This project is meant to be 'quick and dirty'.  I'll be happy with a 'reasonable facsimile'.

The birds showed up in the mail (Preiser HO Scale # 10169 - Birds (Pigeons, Seagulls, Crows and Birds of prey)) and I quickly found one that would fit the bill (beak?) and it looks great! So we are off to a very good start here! 

On the prototype the bird is on a sort of pedestal. I should be able to fashion one rather easily with styrene.


Using the telescopic abilities of Evergreen Styrene tubes, a ring was cut from a 3/16 tube and fit around a 1/8 tube and glued in place.  For ease of handling, it was then filed to the '1/4 dome' shape while still attached to the length of tube before being cut to size.

And then centered and glued to the clock.  Because of the delicacy of the parts, I'll be holding off gluing the bird on until after painting.

And that's it. I don't think there is anything more I can do before painting.  Other details (such as those arched 'Jessop's' plaques) are best put on afterwards.

Now its time to prep for painting.  Since I'm unable to disassemble this model, how the heck am I going to mask off those round clock faces for painting?!?.

Yes sir!

Round masks!

Dandy.


No comments:

Post a Comment